Friday, October 08, 2004

Babblin' and Frothin' About Chimpler

Russell Wardlow has a great post (with a very light sprinkling of four letter words) inspired by his new political tee-shirt. I blogged about who Russell is previously.

excerpt:
As a blogger and just someone who cares about this stuff, enough of my day is already touched with politics, and most of the time I'd just as soon leave the remainder free from it. I loathe the phrase "The personal is political" more than almost any other, and while I realize that that statement is a far qualitative cry from simply declaring on your shirt or your car who you're voting for in November, it's still a similar impulse to want to leave politics within a few spheres.

Part of that, in my case, is surely simple necessity. Living where I do, I would not be able to stand the company of basically anyone around me without avoiding political discussions. For that reason, I can't stomach, and try to keep my distance from, people who can't talk for more than 5 minutes without bringing up "that [kite flying] Bush." In fact, if I seem more fed up and hostile about the people I live with in recent weeks, it's because this is an election year, and it's thus inevitable that people feel the need to constantly babble and froth about Chimpler, source of all that is Evil and Wrong with the world.

But also, because of that constant annoyance, I usually have an almost Pavlovian aversion to trumpeting personal political beliefs in public, if only to make sure I stay as far away from the same kind of irritating immaturity that grates on me every day.

But that's why I'm willing to make an exception for the "W" shirt. It's understated and unprovocative. It doesn't say the people on the opposite side of the aisle are morons or cowards. Hell, I do think some of them are, but even if I had somehow arrived at the conclusion that every person who pulls a Democratic lever in a month really is a retarded "AmeriKKKa!" nitwit, I still would have enough common sense left to realize it'd be nonetheless rude to suggest as much to everyone who saw my t-shirt (I say this as one who sees stuff like this fairly regularly wherever I go).

But the "W" shirt nicely unoffensive to the point that even I, with my admittedly hypersensitive concerns, can rest easy that anyone who does take offense is such a whiny little [mermaid] unable to tolerate contrary points of view that their tender predilections can go heartily [pick daisies].

1 comment:

Matt said...

Being someone who does not wear t-shirts as outter wear (except in the privacy of my own house) I would much rather have a W lapel pin. Something nice, sterling sliver, or bronze with a suggestion of stars and stripes in the texture.