Thursday, April 21, 2005

Sullivan, It's Simple. You're A Freakin' Loser.

I'm sorry, but Andrew Sullivan just keeps getting stupider and stupider. Here's his latest:
MORAL EQUIVALENCE WATCH: If you want to see how some of the most extreme theocons regard liberal democracy, read this paragraph:

In this regard, the consumerism and relativism of the West can be just as dangerous as the totalitarianism of the East: It's just as easy to forget about God while dancing to an iPod as while marching in a Hitler Youth rally. There's a difference, to be sure, but hardly anyone would contest the observation that in elite Western society, as in totalitarian Germany, the moral vocabulary has been purged of the idea of sin. And if there's no sense of sin, then there's no need for a Redeemer, or for the Church.

A free society where people can listen to iPods and freely debate their own ideas of truth and the good life is all but indistinguishable from a Nuremberg rally? And we have no notion of sin? None? That's just bizarre. We simply have a somehwat different idea of sin and immorality than the theocons. But from the theocon point of view, the glorious achievement of the secular West is as nihilistic and as dangerous as the Nazis. That is Benedict XVI's view. I don't think people have a clue how radical this man is. And how ferocious a culture war he is about to unleash.
- 11:50:00 AM

Andrew, other than liking incense and pretty vestments, why do you consider yourself a Catholic? The obtuseness it took to even make a post like the above is just immense. You prove the very point Ratzinger was making. You, sir, have no sense of sin.

Yesterday, I was thinking about what constitutes the one unforgivable sin, that which Jesus calls "the sin against the Holy Spirit". As far as I can gather, it works like this: it is one thing to screw up and commit a sin, even a mortal sin. You can repent and obtain forgiveness through the sacrament of confession. If you have the attitude, "I know what I am doing is wrong, I'm a screw-up, I need help!", there is hope for you. But woe to you if you say, "My Church is wrong, it needs to change, I'm not doing anything wrong!" That is a sin of a whole different order in which you are trying to redefine the very nature of good and evil, and constitutes a much deeper rebellion against God. Jesus said "Woe to the man who calls evil good and good evil". I don't think He was joking.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Andrew Sullivan. I pray for the guy. His attitude is nothing short of tragic. It's going to take a miracle for him to see the truth. Let's not forget to pray for him, folks.

No comments: