Saturday, January 08, 2005

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Some Van Halen:
I heard the news baby
all about your disease
Yeah you may have all you want baby
but I got somethin' you need

Oh yeah
ain't talkin' 'bout love
My love is rotten to the core
Ain't talkin' 'bout love
Just like I told you before, yeah before

You know you're semi-good lookin'
and on the streets again
Oh yeah you think you're really cookin' baby
you better find yourself a friend My friend

ain't talkin' 'bout love
My love is rotten to the core
Ain't talkin' 'bout love
Just like I told you before, before, before, before,before

Ace of Spades has a superb reflection, on liberals' odd definition of love.

Apparently on the Today show this week Michael Moore proclaimed his full and undying love for America. As Ari wonders-- what precisely does he love about the country?

It's a good question, and our newstwits never seem to ask the obvious follow-up: Given your obvious discontent with nearly every institution and tradition in this country, what specifically do you love about America? Don't speak in generalities; anyone can say "I love you." Pour your heart out about the particular wonderful things you find so endearing in your self-proclaimed beloved.

"Progressives" always have trouble with this, because, of course, they focus primarily on America's flaws; they want to change America, after all. But that's a curious sort of "love" -- a "love" which manifests itself in nothing but constant criticism and denigration. Yes, apparently there's the possibility of actual love, should America change more to their liking.

...

But what sort of "love" is this? What kind of "love" is predicated on the ostensible beloved changing dramatically in order to appeal more to the alleged lover?

"Progressives" will often say that they love America so darned much that they feel compelled to constantly point out its flaws in order to improve it.

But you try this with a spouse. Tell your spouse, "I love you so damn much I just can't ever announce what I love about you, but rather must constantly criticize and castigate you in order to make you more like the imaginary perfect person in my head, which is the one I really love, but which you could actually be. One day. If you play your cards right. And get some breast augmentation surgery. I mean serious surgery-- I want you out there competing favorably with Plenty Up Topp and Kayla Kleavage."

I don't think that that sort of a protestation of love could possibly work with a person. I think if you tried that, you'd be sleeping on the couch.

Lots of other good stuff in the post, including Hillary's preferred rendering of the Pledge of Alegiance. BTW, the weekly comic strip Life in Hell by Matt Groening once had the little bunny kid doing an amusing schoolyard rendition of the Pledge of Allegiance:

I plead alignment to the flakes
of the untitled snakes of a merry cow
And to the Republicans for which they scam
One nacho, underpants
With licorice and jugs of wine for owls.

No comments: