Saturday, November 08, 2008

Why I Voted For Prop 8

I just left this comment at GayPatriot:

----

I voted for Prop 8 for several reasons.

Number one: Because I believe that marriage is a sacred institution between men and women, and the simple fact is that the law prevents no one whatsoever from participating in this institution. Gays have precisely the same right to marry the opposite sex as anyone else. If they don't want to, they don't want to. Marriage remains marriage. The discrimination they claim simply does not exist. They are not shut out from the one man, one woman institution of marriage in any way, shape, or form. In fact, I wish a hell of a lot more of them would participate!

Number two: I strenuously object to judicial dictatorship.

Number three: Any claims that the institution of the legal fiction of "gay marriage" will have no effect on me are simply ludicrous. There is an obvious track record wherever it has been instituted. The age-old teachings of churches against homosexuality become (by force of law) "hate speech" and "discrimination". Children are taught in school that there is nothing whatsoever wrong about homosexuality, and that whoever says otherwise is a retrograde bigot. Children in school are conditioned in various subtle ways to find homosexuality alluring. Etc. The behavior of outraged gays against the Mormons (both in the No on 8 commercials and in their protests/riots), and the strong financial support of the teachers unions for "No on 8" only serves to confirm all of this for me. It is my conclusion, as an informed, socially aware, and serious Catholic, that the institution of this legal fiction will result in persecution of my Church and its members. It is my right as a voter to take this into consideration.

Number four: This whole fight over the word "marriage", which already has a clear meaning, and has for millenia, is really a fight for coerced approval of the homosexual lifestyle. The fact is, I don't approve. I am absolutely willing to live and let live in terms of homosexuals having any relationship they want, and privately calling it anything they want. But to hell if I'm not going to fight being forced by the state into calling a vice a virtue.

Number five: I believe that homosexuals have been offered an immense amount of compassion and tolerance over the last several decades. It appears that in exchange we are offered little more than threatening hate and outrage. It makes it very difficult for me not to want to thwart their holy cause.

Number six: Gay activists have attached themselves far too strongly to the whole panoply of leftwing causes. To the extent that the left wants to be a monolithic and revolutionary force, I am inclined to vote against it whenever and wherever I can.

No comments: