Friday, December 03, 2004

Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth

An amusing thing happened in the theater when I saw Sideways today. You know how sometimes you absently think about one thing or another, but it's not very important, so normally you wouldn't even remember having thought about it? Well, before the movie started, I was thinking, "If someone near me is yapping too much during the movie, I wonder if I'd actually use the word 'pie hole' when I shush them." Well the movie started, and a couple of ladies a few rows back and across the aisle were still yammering away. A guy sitting a little ways from them said in a loud voice, "Shut your pie holes!" I guess he saved me the effort...

It was a good movie (if a bit raunchy in parts), basically the story of a schlemiel and a dufus on a road trip (both forty-somethings, and starting to hit some serious mid-life desperation). It was sort of a highbrow version of the cult sleeper movie from a decade or so ago called Patti Rocks. Outstanding acting job by Paul Giamatti. Also, a really tasty jazz score. I'm definitely going to get the CD.

No comments: