Friday, June 16, 2006

Tribute To Coulter

At Hot Air. BTW, I just finished reading Godless. It's a great book. Sure, Coulter is snarky, and occasionally over the top. But her targets richly deserve it. In her books, she doesn't bat 1,000 in her jokes (some of them I frankly can't decipher), but three out of four are darned funny. When she was on Leno (clips in the Hot Air tribute), Jay talked about the "catching more flies with honey" idea. The way I see it, if she were "nice" (as the "nice" liberals would have it), then she'd just be another niche conservative writer instead of a number one bestseller. It's more important to me that her highly intelligent writing and arguments (backed up with carefully researched facts) reach a wider audience. People could claim she's just preaching to the choir, which is an implicit statement that minds are incapable of being persuaded. I know for a fact that this just isn't true. It was reading humorous books by P.J. O'Rourke in the early nineties that got me out of my commie rut. And I remember distinctly that the leftist rags I used to read (Z Magazine, The Progressive, The Nation, etc) acted as if O'Rourke were some kind of vicious, hate spewing Nazi.

They were wrong. On the contrary, I found him to be witty, intelligent, and convincing. In short, much better than the crap I'd been reading. And thus, my political views changed. Imagine that.

No comments: