Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Another Paso Robles Quake

A 6.0 just hit the Paso Robles area at 10:15. I felt it here in Palo Alto. It was pretty much the same "boat at the dock" rolling feeling that the last Paso Robles quake yielded. I think that was a 7.1. This one was a lot shorter. But I thought to myself, "Okay, this feels like it's coming from far away". I went outside while it was still rolling, because the '89 Loma Prieta quake also had a slow start, and I wanted to be out of the building if the Big Snap came. In '89 I was sitting at my desk at work in Santa Clara. It started with a gentle jiggle, gentle enough that I had to look up at the sprinklers and ceiling tiles to make sure it was a quake and not just a truck going by or the HVAC starting up. I said "oh, a little temblor" (we'd been having those for months). Then the Big Snap came and I was under my desk in a flash. After that it was like being on an amusement park ride. During the aftershocks, I was out in the parking lot, and you could see the cars going up and down as the waves came through...

No comments: