Friday, May 15, 2009

These Are The Voyages

Saw Star Trek last night. Bravo!

You could do worse than to read what Lileks has to say about the movie.

His review concludes:

It wrapped up fast, which was welcome. I hate movies that drag the final cataclysm on and on, but when this was done, it was done. Then it was one final piece of chocolate for the fans - [minor spoiler] - before curtain call. All the characters in place, everyone stepping into the shades of their predecessors, staring into a bright new future that you can be damned sure will have a sequel...

Then the voice over; then the theme, and it’s like they emptied an entire can of Reddi-Whip on the entire cake. You’re ten again, and you can’t possibly be happier.

Except I’m not ten; I’m a middle-aged man, for heaven’s sake. But when I was a child I saw the first episode of Star Trek ever broadcast, at my Grandfather’s farm house, in living color, and I’ve loved it ever since. It would be pathetic to say this meant something to me, but I’m sorry: It would be a lie to say it didn’t.

No comments: