Monday, May 22, 2006

We Played The Flute For You, But You Did Not Dance, We Sang A Dirge But You Did Not Mourn

The Anchoress has a very well written, thought-provoking post in defense of George W. Bush against being abandoned by his erstwhile supporters.

It begins:

A much-esteemed, long-neglected friend sent an email this morning, which was delightful to recieve. At one point he mentioned this post from yesterday and wrote: "I think (President Bush) has lost his bearings. but then, so did Moses from time to time, it’s quite understandable".

That made me wonder a little - has President Bush lost his bearings, or have we? Is it President Bush who has broken faith with “his base” or have they?

When I read my friend’s line, I thought of a line from Pride and Prejudice, in which Elizabeth Bennett says in new appreciation of Mr. Darcy, “In essentials, I believe, he is very much what he ever was.”

Perhaps I am a dim bulb, but President Bush has never surprised me, and that is probably why I have never felt let down or “betrayed” by him. He is, in essentials, precisely whom he has ever been...

No comments: