Sunday, March 21, 2010

Good Parallel

Vox Day:

I found this exchange in the comments to be more than a little amusing, as Darth clearly picked up on the same scientific ignorance of the design process in reading about the Pagel paper that I did in reading Richard Dawkins's latest book.

Darth Toolpodicus: "'Rather than designing each species from scratch, as an engineer might, evolution is conservative, using the same designs over and over.'

Are you freaking kidding me?!? SERIOUSLY?!? Pagel plainly doesn't know the first thing about design engineering... Wow is that gaspingly ignorant. Of course, what would I know...having only spent my entire career in R&D design engineering."

Schadenfreude: "You're right. Let me rephrase it for him: "...as an engineer who, unlike human engineers, was not limited in time, resources, or ingenuity, and who did not for some hidden reason want to make every organism appear related just as one would expect if evolution had occurred."

The reason that this is so funny to a game and technology designer like me is that whenever evolutionists attack the idea of creation from a design angle, they almost invariably do two things. First, they make what is best described as the Scheisskopfian Plea, after the character from the Joseph Heller novel.

“‘I don’t believe,’ she sobbed, bursting violently into tears. ‘But the God I don’t believe in is a good God, a just God, a merciful God. He’s not the mean and stupid God you make him out to be.’”

The Creator God in which the evolutionist doesn't believe is a good designer, a careful designer, an efficient designer. He's not the lazy and careless designer that the apparent design imperfections make him out to be.

1 comment:

IlĂ­on said...

That the world is imperfect, that there is pain, loss, death and decay in it is a logical necessity of what the world is: it is Not God.

I briefly explore that idea at the bottom of this post.