Thursday, April 08, 2010

Congresspeople Are Just So Much Smarter Than Americans

Neoneocon:

What an oily, condescending, manipulative, lying piece of work she is. Referring to the HCR bill, Pelosi says:

It’s like the back of the refrigerator. You see all these wires and the rest. All you need to know is, you open the door. The light goes on.

I don’t mean to be anti-female, but Pelosi’s suggestion strikes me as something only a woman could have come up with. I have that attitude myself to most mechanical and/or electrical gadgetry and appliances, including computers: don’t tell me how it works, just make it work.

But for a supposed servant of the people to use such a metaphor to refer to a bill that affects us all in such important ways is outrageously and offensively paternalistic (or should I say “maternalistic?”) and flies in the face of what the relationship between the citizens and Congress in this country is meant to be.

2 comments:

Ilíon said...

And as someone there pointed out, the light coming on when you open is wholly incidental to the point of a refrigerator.

I mean, even aside from the fact that those wires on the back (except for the power-cord) have nothing at all to do with the light coming on.

Ilíon said...

I wonder ... could it be that Congresscritters are a different species from Americans?