Monday, May 23, 2005

I Could Be Wrong

But it seems to me that the Dems have just suffered a big defeat in the judicial confirmation battle. A lot of right wing bloggers are wailing and lamenting that the "nuclear option" wasn't used. The Anchoress has a good round-up. Now it seems to me that folks might be confusing means and ends here. Is the end breaking the fillibuster logjam or is it to see the Dems humiliated and begging for mercy? I seem to recall that after World War One, the end became to see Germany utterly humiliated via the Treaty of Versailles. Well, that didn't end up doing much to promote peace in the long run, now, did it? To me it looks like the Democrats caved. If they could've beat the nuclear option they would have. Instead, they slink away with a face-saving "agreement". I think right now I agree with this take over at Polipundit. Also, I left this comment in the thread over at The Anchoress:
Well, I don’t know, it’s unclear to me who has really backed down here. Suddenly a bunch of moderates are saying that the “terrible three” are not radical extremists. That ain’t nothing, and it seems like a very major backdown on the part of the Dems. If they could’ve blocked those three, they would’ve. They couldn’t so they won’t. Is it possible some folks are more interested in an immediate scorched earth humiliation of the enemy than an actual important victory that still leaves open the door for torching these Dem punks if they try to pull something? How do we know that this isn’t just the Dem’s way of slinking away mortally wounded? Do we also have to do a victory dance and put their heads on pikes along the city walls? I’m not saying I know any of this to be the case, but I’m just askin’.

Right now, the Polipundit link isn't working, so I reproduce the post here:

My Take on the Deal

Now that an agreement has apparently been reached, it’s now time to look at the ramfications of the settlement.

Unfortunately, some of my conservative brethren are screaming that Republicans caved in, that it is time to stay home on election day, or perhaps join a new party.

If these Republicans would look at settlement rationally, they would recognize that it is a complete victory.

First, Democrats are forced to let three of the President’s nominees come up for a vote. We will now see these filibustered nominees win confirmation with 55-59 votes. So much for the Democratic argument that filibustered nominees are extremists.

Second, the President did not have to drop, as earlier proposed settlements said, two of his nominees. There is no decision on either nominee, and I expect Frist will call for a vote on their nominations shortly.

Third, the decision is an admission of failure by the Democratic leadership. If he were confident that it had the votes to overcome the constitutional option, Reid would have nixed any negotiations. Instead, he has to let three of the President’s “extremist” nominees win confirmation without any nominee being voted down.

Fourth, we can expect a Supreme Court vacancy this summer. With the eyes of the nation upon them, with their claim that Bush’s nominees are extremists in logical shreds, Democrats will have to either commit political suicide by filibustering or let the SCOTUS nominee go through the Senate.

Fifth, if Democrats continue to filibuster judicial nominees, it gives Republicans a potent issue to portray Democratic Senators in Red States as obstructionists.

In short, this is the submission of the minority to the will of the majority. Democrats and wobbly Republicans can spin it as they will, but you, my readers, will I hope see otherwise.

-- Alexander K. McClure

No comments: