Sunday, November 05, 2006

Everyone Knows, Science Has Nothing To Say About Religion

At least Time magazine thinks so. Here's the latest cover:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

and the exciting thesis of the cover story:

We revere faith and scientific progress, hunger for miracles and for MRIs. But are the worldviews compatible?


It reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Kent Brockman, Springfield's bloviating News Anchor, is on the newscast in front of a graphic that displays the Ying/Yang symbol, the Cross, the Star of David, The Islamic Crescent, an Om symbol, and a giant question mark, and intones : "On our next segment: World religions. Which is the one, true faith?"

So Time magazine has spelled it out for us! It's God vs. Science!

I can pray my rosary or I can believe in DNA.

But I've got to choose!

I'm also reminded of an aphorism attributed to G.K. Chesterton:

“When the modern critical intellectual says he can no longer accept the doctrine of the Trinity and the Real Presence in the Eucharist, it usually means, ‘I’m sleeping with my neighbor’s wife’.”


You can find discussion of the Time piece in the comments here.

No comments: