Sunday, March 09, 2008

It Is Often Like This

Mike Gene:

Throughout the years, I have noticed a pattern that occurs when arguing with various critics – rather than focus and deal with the actual argument I am making, they are arguing against a point that they anticipate I will make later down the line. To argue like this, I assume they think they are relying on their foresight, but more often than not, they are simply relying on stereotypes. So what would it be like to play chess with someone like that?

Mike moves his bishop.

Critic thinks: “Aha, I’ve seen this move before! I know what he is up to.” Critic moves his rook.

Mike moves his knight.

Critic speaks: What are you doing?

Mike: Playing chess?

Critic: I know that. But you are not supposed to move your knight. You are supposed to move the queen!

Mike: I am?

Critic: Yes, I’ve seen this move before. I’ve played with lots of people like you before and you all move the queen.

Mike: But I don’t want to move the queen. I want to move the knight.

Critic: Okay, now you are lying.

Mike: Huh?

Critic: You know you want to move your queen, but won’t admit it!

Mike: No, I want to move the knight.

Critic: Liar. I told you, I’ve played with lots of people like you before and you ALL move the queen.

Mike: But I am not those other people.

Critic: That was a cheap shot! Why don’t you just play the game instead of psychologizing me?

Mike: Look, perhaps we shouldn’t play anymore.

Critic: Why? Are you afraid you’ll lose? Your type always does, you know?

Mike: No, because it looks like you can play this game by yourself. [Gets up and walks away]

Critic: Aha! Once you figured out that I knew you wanted to move the queen, you walk away. See ya later. Loser.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I actually heard a discussion on NPR Science Friday that was very much like that.