Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Wisdom And Politics

I wouldn't be surprised if The Anchoress already beat me to this, but in today's Magnificat magazine, the Scripture reading for the morning caught my eye. One thing I've learned over the last ten years since my conversion is that politics really is the continuation of a struggle that is also taking place in the higher realms (I had a post about this back in November). When it comes to being a Christian, George W. Bush is the real deal. To be a Christian is to "put on Christ", and let Him act through you. As such, sometimes a Scripture passage that applies to Christ applies to a believer also, as he acts as "Christ in the world", that is, sincerely walks the Christian walk, as I think George Bush is doing. So then, how about this passage from the Book of Wisdom (specifically Wisdom 2:12-14)?
Let us beset the just one, because he is obnoxious to us; he sets himself against our doings, Reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training. He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the LORD. To us he is the censure of our thoughts; merely to see him is a hardship for us.

Would lefties be appalled to know that they are simply fulfilling prophecy in their treatment of George Bush? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Bush is the Savior, or that any of this is apocalyptic. Just that Scripture and Christianity have human nature pegged pretty darned well...

Also, I see the "he sets himself against our doings, Reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training" part as not Bush being self righteous and in-your-face (because he's not), but merely an expression of the stung conscience that bears merely witnessing a guy doing the right thing as some sort of bitter reproach...

No comments: